- About CMS
- Extended Programs
- Give to CMS
- Cambridge Montessori Institute
For International Families
for our International Camper
As an International camper, Passport Summer Camp realizes that your needs are unique, we want you and your family to have the best experience at camp possible. If you have any further questions please contact us right away!
While the majority of our campers come from the eastern United States, children attend camp from such countries as China, Dominican Republic, France, Japan, Mexico, Spain, Russia and the UK, and everyone is welcome!
Many of our international campers arrive on their first day of camp knowing very little English and some arrive jet lagged having just arrived in our country the night before. We take special care to ensure that all of our campers become acclimated to their camp environment.
We keep campers very busy throughout their camp week. Usually the second day of camp almost all children are smiling and ready for another fun day of camp. We cannot promise that your child will learn English while they are with us, but we can promise that they will have a great time at Passport Summer Camp no matter what country they call home.
Some of our Counselors may be able to speak in different languages, we have found that most international families request that our counselors speak only English to their children while they are at camp. We have found that our international campers pick up quite a bit of our language and customs by the end of their first camp week with this full immersion approach.
We are a day camp and children are to be dropped off and picked up from camp each day. Our camp hours are 9:00am-4:00pm. We do have early care and extended day if you need it.
Camp Location & Transportation:
Camp is located in North Cambridge, MA. We operate within the facilities of the Cambridge Montessori School. We have three buildings to accommodate all our camp programs, one building is located on Garden Street and our other two buildings are located on Sherman Street. Camp is within walking distance to Denehy Park which is over 50 acres of sports fields, running track, playgrounds, splash pad and lots of green grass for running and playing! Camp is approximately 1.5 miles from Alewife and Porter Square train stations Red Line train.
Camp families provide their own transportation to camp.
Tips for Registering
* Please have your credit card ready when registering. For your protection, the system will "time out" or end if there is inactivity during registration more than 10 minutes.
* Phone Numbers: Please input only US phone numbers in the spaces provided as best you can. Having local contacts are the most important to ensure we can reach you should there be an issue with your child while he/she is at camp. Your international phone numbers will not fit in the spaces provided when registering. If you do not have local US phone numbers at this time please input our own Passport Summer Camp Phone number in the spaces provided as that will alert us that you are an international camper with no local phone numbers available yet. Our Camp Phone number is: 617-206-4662.
* Once here in the states, we strongly encourage you to invest in a Pay-As-You-Go Cell Phone so that we can reach out to you as needed with regards to your camper. As soon as you have a US cell phone (or a local US phone contact number) please update your account with the US phone number.
Child Grade Level
While Montessori does not follow specific grades but more of age groupings, we group children by age. We group campers according to school grade they are entering in the upcoming school year (fall 2017). Our local grade system correlates to a child's age as follows:
- Pre-Kindergarten: 3-4 years old
- Kindergarten: 5 years old
- 1st Grade: 6 years old 2nd Grade: 7 years old
- 3rd Grade: 8 years old 4th Grade: 9 years old
- 5th Grade: 10 years old 6th Grade: 11 years old
- 7th Grade: 12 years old
Lunches: Families must provide their own lunches for campers. Lunches cannot be refridgerated or heated. Many campers pack food items in a thermos to keep items heated and use reusable ice packs to keep items cool.
What to bring: All campers should bring in a backpack; waterbottle, sunscreen, bathing suit and towel. Our younger campers (2-5 yrs) should also provide a change of clothes that can be left at camp, as well as items for nap/rest time (blanket, crib sheet)
Health Records & Immunizations: Immunization records are required for all campers. These records must be in English. If your records are in another language you must have them translated to English and signed by a Physician. Campers are not allowed to attend camp without all medical forms completed and submitted.
As required by the State of MA the following immunizations are needed for your child to attend camp:
MMR (Measles, Mumps and Rebella)
DTaP (Diptheria & Tetanus)
Physicals can be completed while here in the United States, CVS (a local pharmacy) offers Minute Clinics (a walk in clinic) that can give well checks for campers. Pricing of services. Your Physician Health form should comply with all state and federal requirements currently in place or you child will not be permitted to attend our camp.
Hotels & Accommodations
Where to Stay: Please note that Passport does not have a business relationship with any of the businesses providing accommodations. Our only interest is in providing our camp families with additional information to assist them in their stay here in Cambridge.
Hotels: There are many hotels to choose from in the Cambridge area. Some things to consider when thinking about hotels for the summer.
- Cambridge and Boston hotels will certainly provide you with very easy access to camp.
- Neighboring Towns: Waltham, Watertown, Arlington, Belmont. Although our camp is located in Cambridge, MA, our neighboring towns may prove to have lower priced accommodations than the Boston and Cambridge options. If you will have a car, these towns might prove to be a great option for your family.
Home Rental: Short term home rentals may also be an option for you. When looking into these options enter-Cambridge MA for your location.
If you hvave any further questions please email Beth Johns-Thomas, Summer Programs Director at firstname.lastname@example.org