- About CMS
- Extended Programs
- Give to CMS
- Cambridge Montessori Institute
- Live Auction & Party with a Purpose 04/01
- Online Auction 03/23 - 04/03
CMS Health and Wellness
"You can't educate a child who isn't healthy and you can't keep a child healthy who isn't educated."
M. Jocelyn Elders, MD - U.S. Surgeon General
Health and Wellness Staff:
Patty Palanza Paynter, RN, serves Cambridge Montessori School as our School Nurse. Our School Psychologist, Nicole Coman, is on campus Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and available for consultation when not on campus. Dr. Pearl Riney is the supervising physician for CMS, providing consultation and guidance to our school nurse and staff as needed throughout the year. All Cambridge Montessori School staff working directly with children are fully certified in First Aid and CPR through the American Heart Association.
Health services at CMS seek to involve students, families and staff in optimizing the health and wellness of our community.
School Nursing Services for students are provided within the guidelines of the Massachusetts Comprehensive School Health Program and include:
- Obtaining health and safety information for each student at the start of each school year
- Monitoring compliance with state immunization guidelines
- Identification of health care needs and implementation of individualized health care plans for students with health concerns
- Helping maintain a safe environment for learning
- First aid and injury assessment and treatment
- Illness assessment and treatment
- Identification and prevention of the spread of disease
- Administration of medication
- Regular communication with parents, guardians and staff
- Annual growth, vision and hearing screenings in grades K – 8
- Annual postural screening in grades in grades 5 – 8
- Case management services
- Consultation with community care providers as needed
- Referral / counseling / guidance in consultation with our school psychologist
- Promotion of healthy lifestyle choices
Mental Health Services
While the individual student attention and nurturing environment of CMS helps most students cope with the normal stressors in life, there are times when a child needs more support. Available on site and covered by tuition, students may receive individual counseling with the school psychologist, who is licensed and holds a doctorate in Clinical Psychology, as well as participate in social skills groups. Parents are also able to consult with the school psychologist regarding any concerns, whether these directly affect their child in school or not. If there seems to be a need for more intensive support for a student, families will receive assistance finding therapists, psychiatrists, and services such as psychological/neuropsychological testing. Emotional/social development is a large emphasis of the curriculum at CMS and we are dedicated to helping every student find a sense of well-being, in school and otherwise.