- About CMS
- Extended Programs
- Give to CMS
- Cambridge Montessori Institute
- Live Auction & Party with a Purpose 04/01
- Online Auction 03/23 - 04/03
History of CMS
The Cambridge Montessori School (CMS) was founded and incorporated in 1963 as a small non-profit preschool based upon the principles, curriculum and materials developed by Dr. Maria Montessori (1870-1952). The School’s beginnings and subsequent growth reflected the re-kindled popularity of the Montessori approach in the US and the national organization of the American Montessori Society (est. 1960).
Like many independent schools, CMS was founded by a dedicated group of parents including the Paukulis, Minsky, and Lockhart families and was first housed in various Cambridge churches. CMS opened its doors to its first 50 students at St. Bartholomew’s Church, followed by a site at the parish house of Christ Church. By 1969, with the confidence and enthusiasm of parents, teachers, and then head of school, Jacqueline Scott, CMS expanded its program beyond the preschool level to reach out to a broader community. The School relocated to the Armenian Holy Trinity Apostolic Church to accommodate its growing student body.
Tremendous support and fund-raising efforts within the community, led by the Board of Trustees, made the dream of designing and building our own facility a reality. Since 1974, CMS's Toddler/Primary Program has been situated at 161 Garden Street in Cambridge, adjacent to Danehy Park. We added the Elementary Building at 129 Sherman St. in 1997. In 2008, the School rented 5,000 additional square feet in the Brickyard Office Park, midway between its existing buildings, for additional office, studio, and classroom space for arts and the Middle School. In 2014, the brickyard space was further expanded and now houses 5 additional administrative offices and a conference room.